We work to extend the useful life of the waste we generate, pursuing circular solutions in our operations. We encourage the recycling and subsequent reuse of waste, for the benefits of society and the environment.
To this end, we implement initiatives such as innovation in design and the elimination of single-use plastics
Reuse of Materials
With the objective of minimizing the generation of waste from our restaurants, we develop initiatives that allow us to take certain inputs and reinsert them into the production chain as raw materials.
We collect oil from our kitchens, to ensure its proper disposal and conversion to biodiesel as well as soap in some of the markets where we operate.
- By 2022, we recovered 100% of the oil used in our kitchens. +2.9 million liters.
Among some of our initiatives, we worked together with our logistics suppliers to recover cardboard from our restaurants for recycling and reuse in the generation of new packaging. The project is gradually being implemented in several markets. The project is gradually being implemented in several markets. A large amount of cardboard has already been reinserted into our value chain, providing us with opportunities to maximize the life cycle of the material and reduce waste.
- More than 147 tons recovered in 2022.
In partnership with UBQ Materials, in Brazil and Uruguay we began replacing the trays in our restaurants with a sustainable thermoplastic material. Thanks to this production and manufacturing process developed by the Israeli company, domestic waste is recycled and converted into a material that does not pollute and can be reused an endless number of times.
- Each ton of material avoids the emission of 12 tons of CO2.
- In collaboration with UBQ Materials, we manufactured more than 100,000 bio-based thermoplastic trays.
We provide training for the entire company on the generation, handling, control and responsible disposal of waste. Additionally, we implement region-specific procedures for restaurants in different geographies.
Through the PDS program, our restaurant employees are trained on a conscious water use, energy, GHG emission measurement, waste separation and education for sustainable development.
Our work guidelines
- In all our offices we replaced disposable cups with reusable porcelain cups, which allows us to considerably reduce waste generation.
- Since 2017, we have managed to reduce more than 1,700 tons of single-use plastics in our restaurants.