We work to extend the useful life of the waste we generate, pursuing circular solutions in our operations. We encourage the recycling and subsequent reuse of waste, for the benefits of society and the environment.
To this end, we implement initiatives such as innovation in design and the elimination of single-use plastics
Reuse of Materials
With the objective of minimizing the generation of waste from our restaurants, we develop initiatives that allow us to take certain inputs and reinsert them into the production chain as raw materials.
We collect oil from our kitchens, to ensure its proper disposal and conversion to biodiesel as well as soap in some of the markets where we operate.
- More than 2,000 tons recovered in 2020.
We convert food, fruit, tea, coffee and napkin waste from our offices into compost for our orchard and garden. Employees can also take the compost to use in their homes.
- + 48 tons of compost in 1 year.
Among the initiatives implemented in 2020, is a reverse logistics project with Axionlog, in Colombia, through which we were able to recover 54.3% of the cardboard we send to our restaurants and reincorporate it into the production chain
- More than 45.5 tons recovered in the year.
In partnership with UBQ Materials, in Brazil we began replacing the trays in our restaurants with a sustainable thermoplastic material. Thanks to this production and manufacturing process developed by the Israeli company, domestic waste is recycled and converted into a material that does not pollute and can be reused an endless number of times.
- Each ton of this material prevents the emission of 12 tons of CO2.
We provide training for the entire company on the generation, handling, control and responsible disposal of waste. Additionally, we implement region-specific procedures for restaurants in different geographies.
Through the PDS program, our restaurant employees are trained on a conscious water use, energy, GHG emission measurement, waste separation and education for sustainable development.
Our work guidelines
- In 2019, we moved forward with a Circular Economy pilot project in Brazil where plastic waste is separated in a Recycling Cooperative and after being processed, it returns to the restaurants as trays made with recycled plastic.
- In all our offices we replaced disposable cups with reusable porcelain cups, which allows us to considerably reduce waste generation.
- We replaced traditional paper with ecological paper, made from 100% sugarcane fiber and without chemical bleaches.