We work to extend the useful life of the waste we generate, pursuing circular solutions in our operations. We encourage the recycling and subsequent reuse of waste, for the benefits of society and the environment.
To this end, we implement initiatives such as innovation in design and the elimination of single-use plastics
Reuse of Materials
With the objective of minimizing the generation of waste from our restaurants, we develop initiatives that allow us to take certain inputs and reinsert them into the production chain as raw materials.
We collect oil from our kitchens, to ensure its proper disposal and conversion to biodiesel as well as soap in some of the markets where we operate.
- In 2021, we recovered more than 2 million liters of cooking oil.
We convert food, fruit, tea, coffee and napkin waste from our offices into compost for our orchard and garden. Employees can also take the compost to use in their homes.
- + 48 tons of compost in 1 year.
Among some of our initiatives, we worked together with our logistics suppliers to recover cardboard from our restaurants for recycling and reuse in the generation of new packaging. The project is gradually being implemented in several markets. In 2021, we recovered more than 93 tons of cardboard in Colombia and 54 tons in Mexico, which were reused in our value chain, providing us with opportunities to maximize the life cycle of the material and reduce waste.
- More than 147 tons recovered in the year.
In partnership with UBQ Materials, in Brazil we began replacing the trays in our restaurants with a sustainable thermoplastic material. Thanks to this production and manufacturing process developed by the Israeli company, domestic waste is recycled and converted into a material that does not pollute and can be reused an endless number of times.
- Each ton of material avoids the emission of 12 tons of CO2.
- In collaboration with UBQ Materials, we manufactured more than 100,000 bio-based thermoplastic trays.
We provide training for the entire company on the generation, handling, control and responsible disposal of waste. Additionally, we implement region-specific procedures for restaurants in different geographies.
Through the PDS program, our restaurant employees are trained on a conscious water use, energy, GHG emission measurement, waste separation and education for sustainable development.
Our work guidelines
- In all our offices we replaced disposable cups with reusable porcelain cups, which allows us to considerably reduce waste generation.
- In the last 4 years, we removed 48% of single-use plastics in our restaurants.
- In Argentina, we replaced traditional paper with an ecological one, made from 100% sugarcane fiber and without chemical bleaches.
Our commitment to the future
- Recycle customer packaging in 100% of McDonald’s restaurants.
- 100% of our packaging must come from renewable, recycled or certified sources.