We provided close to 400 thousand training opportunities to young people in Latin America and the Caribbean in 2021
We are proud to release our eighth Social Impact and Sustainable Development Report, highlighting the latest developments related to our ESG strategies and policies for 2021. The report, the only ESG report in the quick service restaurant industry in the region to include audited content, shows the evolution and strengthening of our socio-environmental commitments.
Access the Social Impact and Sustainable Development Report 2021 here
As one of the main generators of first formal employment, with 60% of its employees aged 16 to 24, we continue to promote employability, education and training projects through partnerships with more than 30 NGOs in the region. The newest initiative in 2021 was the launch of our free educational platform available to everyone: MCampus Community, which already has more than 40 thousand registered users. These digital courses offered through the online platform of the Company’s Hamburger University provide highly relevant content for all young people who wish to acquire new skills for their professional future.
In addition, through the same university, we continue to facilitate continuing education for our team, focusing on leadership, performance and organizational culture. Based on these initiatives, added to the continuous training conducted in more than 2,250 restaurants throughout the region, we have generated more than 1.6 million professional training opportunities from 2018 to the end of 2021.
The report not only highlights progress on our commitments related to training and employment opportunity towards young people, but also reports the main figures for the other pillars of Recipe for the Future:
- Sustainable Sourcing: We highlight that 98.5% of our coffee comes from certified sources and 100% of our fiber-based packaging is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified, which guarantees responsible forest management.
- Circular Economy: Among some initiatives, we recovered more than 2,000,000 liters of cooking oil in all our restaurants, most of which was converted into biodiesel, and we reduced single-use plastics by 40% since 2019.
- Diversity and Inclusion: By 2021, we will increase female representation in senior positions, from 6% to 20%, and train more than 70,000 employees on this topic.
- Family and Wellness: 100% of the restaurants were audited at least once, by an external entity to ensure the highest food safety standards.
- Climate Change: We undertook the commitment to reduce the carbon footprint in our entire value chain, including that of suppliers, by 31% by 2030; which allowed us to be the first and only Company in its industry, in Latin America, to issue a financial bond linked to sustainability.
The document was prepared in accordance with the best international practices of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and in compliance with the standards of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB).
To learn more about these and many other ESG initiatives we are undertaking, please visit the 2021 Social Impact and Sustainable Development Report for Latin America and the Caribbean 2021 available here.